Friday, January 10, 2014

You MUST see Her


You should go watch Spike Jonze's Her. It was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I'll try to describe it.

I've seen a lot of films that attempt to capture romance. But Her was unlike anything I've ever seen before. For those of you who don't know, it's about a man who falls in love with his artificial intelligence device. And what a love it is... The protagonist essentially shows the world to the machine. He explains human nature to her, and what's beautiful about it is the way that she accepts it. She embraces it in the most pure way imaginable. When two humans bond in an intimate relationship (I don't mean sexual- I just mean VERY CLOSE) there is a definite pretense to it. Even if you love someone, the purity of that love is poisoned by doubt and judgement. As humans we understand each other and that understanding retracts from the intimacy that we're capable of.

However, the AI only understood that pretense conceptually. That is, she knew what it was, but there was no feeling associated with it. It was merely a note in her processor to allow her to function with humans. She could still grow with the protagonist and appreciate him for what he was- with all of his flaws, insecurities, evils, obsessions, and anxieties. The love that she had for him was so indescribably pure it brought tears to my eyes on multiple occasions.

Her broke barriers- it is art in its purest form. You MUST see it.


3 comments:

  1. I was wondering what theater you saw this in. I have looked for it and have been out of luck. I may have over looked it, but none the least, I could not find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Campbell 16. It's also playing at the Regal theater downtown. If you're in the 417 area that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes and thank you.

    ReplyDelete