Thursday, December 19, 2013

An Apt Metaphor for My Life


My dad is a cheapskate. He's that guy who keeps the house 5 degrees too cold in the wintertime and 5 degrees too hot in the summertime. Our house is pretty big and my room is the farthest from our fireplace (the one thing that succeeds in properly warming the place up). With this in mind, know that my room is pretty cold at night, and being the scrawny, cold-natured person that I am, I don't adapt well to the temperature of my room.

Well, the other night, I had just gotten ready for bed and was about to hit the hay. On my way to my room, I noticed the fire roaring downstairs. I was shivering a bit and the warmth of the device appealed to me. I was about to walk downstairs to sit by it and warm myself, but then I decided not to. I decided that if I got warm downstairs, when I went back to my room, the cold would just be more unpleasant. With that in mind, I went to my room and curled up with my blankets. After a minute or two I realized how jaded that decision had been. I had passed on a good thing just because I was scared of eventually loosing it.

Then an even broader realization assailed me. I realized that THAT'S HOW I LIVE MY WHOLE LIFE. I pass up on really good things (or prospectively good things) just because I'm afraid of the pain I'll feel after loosing said things. There's so many decisions I've not made, so many cool girls I've never asked out, so many leaps of faith I've been too scared to make. I laid in bed and thought about the past and realized that I've lived my life within the stifling confines of my comfort zone. I need to get out of that- WHERE THE MAGIC HAPPENS!
I'm so fucking bored with my life right now, and I think it's time to step out and be willing to make mistakes. Granted, it was easier to avoid the fireplace that night and simply go to bed, but I missed out on the revitalizing heat the device could give me. If I don't step out of my comfort zone from time to time, I'm never going to feel warmth.

No comments:

Post a Comment