Monday, December 9, 2013

Rating Art? (Including My Top Albums of 2013)


I was at my friend's house yesterday and he had the latest edition of The Rolling Stone. Inside was the magazine's top albums of the year. #1 was "Modern Vampires of the City" by Vampire Weekend. #2 was Kanye's "Yeezus". #3 was Daft Punk's "R.A.M"... etc...etc. The whole time I was reading it, I was smirking. Thinking things like, "Why the fuck is Kanye #2?" and "Why is The National's 'Trouble Will Find Me' not in the top 5?"

And then I realized how stupid I was being...

In my blogging, I've talked a lot about how people try to organize their lives- how they like to put things in boxes in order to make sense of them. Now, that's all well and good, FOR EVERYTHING BUT ART! You can't put art in a box. You just can't. Robin William's sums it up nicely!


The phenomenon that is art is one that cannot be measured. One cannot put boundaries on how much something can move the soul of humanity. It pulls the heartstrings in incomprehensible ways and it's incredibly arrogant to rate it's importance. So my list of the best albums of 2013 is different than the Rolling Stone's, but that's okay... I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with me. Everything moves us in different ways and for different reasons. As long as we understand that our "top tens" are for us, and not necessarily for everyone. Though, it is cool when people share our artistic vices. Anyway, I'm going to try to be less pretentious with how I view music. 

If anyone's interested. Here's my top ten albums of the year:

1. Trouble Will Find Me by The National

2. Nothing Was the Same by Drake



3. Modern Vampires of the City by Vampire Weekend (click the picture)

4. Sunbather by Deafheaven



5. Yeezus by Kanye West




6. Acid Rap by Chance the Rapper




7. Reflektor by Arcade Fire (This Album is so new, I couldn't find the whole thing on youtube, but here's a cool, official music video).



8. Doris by Earl Sweatshirt




9. The Bones of What You Believe by Chvrches




10. Wolf by Tyler the Creator






No comments:

Post a Comment